Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I Was Stabbed in the Back!

I was a young and foolish 23 year old at the time and it was the only time (at least to my knowledge anyway) that a girlfriend cheated on me. A knock out dame that she was, but she was what most people would consider to be a bitch. A bulimic, soap opera queen from L.A. that would nit pick the minorest of things to make a big drama out of it. Add to that the person she cheated on me with was a 36 year old personal injury lawyer who had wined and dined her at the most expensive places in the Twin Cities metro, offered to buy her a car and pay her way through college while he was married no less, and it made for quite the colorful story of betrayal.

This was one of the more forming experiences in my life especially in the department of trust. Never again did I approach a date or a potential courtship with optimism or hope, but rather skepticism and very cautious and very measured optimism. But beyond that my faith and trust in things outside girls, dating and courtship didn’t change for I didn’t perceive the threat of betrayal from those aspects of my life.

Well now, 7 years later, I am shocked and without words. For I have been betrayed even worse than the time Bulimic Babe cheated on me. I am more betrayed than when Brutus killed Cesear. I am more betrayed than when JFK left the Cuban fighters to die in the Bay of Pigs invasion.

My stalwart companion, my friend of all friends, an entity I have known and trusted for over 9 years, has stabbed me in the back. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the cover of the most recent issue of The Economist.

Those bastards!

5 comments:

Captain Capitalism said...

Well you all know how I like to be satirical and dramatic, so let's not jump to any conclusions. I haven't read the article yet, it could very well come out in favor of video games. The few studies I've seen/read on the effects of video games have largely been positive ones (anecdotal evidence submitted by Brad set aside), but we'll see.

All I know is when the communist alien hordes from Ortioch IV attack I'll know that they are only killable by shooting them in their right arm with a plasma assault rifle.

Then chicks will really dig me!

David_Z said...

CC-- you must read the article. I skimmed over it yesterday whilst taking my evening constitutional, and it appeared to be fair, if not leaning more towards the side of games & gamers.

the Economist stressed the myriad applications of video games, which include many learning tools that will become more valuable in the future of education the world over. It also stressed the perception of games & gamers which is largely based on opinions and research of those who grew up without video games, and cannot properly relate to them.

There is also a nice graph (I know you're fond of those!) which you can post, which shows a dramatic decrease in violent crime over the period of time during which video games have become signifiantly more popular.

Captain Capitalism said...

Yeah, I'm like 3 issues behind. Been hit with a fortunate string of luck in the department of dating.

As for the decrease in crime, certainly caused more by consistent economic growth, but they have a point if such a prevalent media form did cause violence, there should have been some sign of it in the crime rate.

Captain Capitalism said...

I sincerely appreciate the concern, but I'm not looking for anything serious just yet and have actually been doing rather well recently (2 dates with two girls in one week, the second one tonight, DROP DEAD FREAKING GORGEOUS, she must have poor vision or something ;)

However, should the mythical econo-babe ever show up, I don't think I'll have to worry about an open relationship. Besides, rather be single than have a "wife" that is banging other guys.

David_Z said...

video games kill