Monday, August 08, 2005

Those Chinese Bastards! How Dare They!

Whilst in slow season I participate in a political discussion group to beat some sense into the group. They mock and ridicule me, but the chicks secretly find me sexy.

However, one of the bigger differences I have with two of the guys in the group is whether a strong China would be a good China. This of course depends on who is in command and a bevy of other factors, but there are basically two camps;

  • As China gains economic and military power the communists will inevitably crush the US through military or economic warfare.
  • As China gains economic power and further free up their economy, the communists will only be communists in name and they will form an economy mutual advantageous to both the US and China and will become probably one of our best allies in the long run.
I am in the second camp as I am always right.

Thus, it was a pleasure to see this in the news today;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050808/ap_on_bi_ge/china_boeing

3 comments:

Captain Capitalism said...

No, he's the moderator of the group. He was just providing a link incase people wanted to get in on it.

But yeah, I'm tiring of these blue collar American types that think anything not made in America is not worth buying. I wouldn't call it racist in that they don't want you to buy Chinese goods or German goods simply because they're more protectionists, but they certainly are ignorant. You're not going to be able to sit them down and explain the Ricardian trade theory to them.

I don't know if you ever saw the episode in South Park where the aliens from the future transport back in time and steal everybody's jobs. It was hilarious!

Arcane said...

Yes, South Park rocks...

I'm in the same crowd as you are when it comes to China, but I'm just a bit more pragmatic... I think an economically strong China is good for America's economy, however I want to retain the capabilities needed to beat the living snot out of them in case they decide to go apeshit.

Captain Capitalism said...

I can see you making a great ambassador to China someday.