Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Long Overdue Post on Australian Economics

Good lord am I sorry to all you Aussies out there. I promised Frank that I'd do a post on Australia, but then I got the "Captain Capitalism" signal up in the sky and had to respond to what is now coming up on a 6 month, non-stop drive of contribution to GDP. 4 months straight of 90-100 hour work weeks, then the holidays and then moving to the burbs.

So while I was going to do a bit more in depth analysis, I'm sorry, I just don't have the time. But I will say this;

When I pulled these figures from the OECD I was amazed just how similar Australia and the US were. I'm kind of amazed how countries that were once under the British Empire do markedly better than any other empire, HK, US, Australia, etc.

Anyway, here are the charts.






And of course, what professional, full scale, in-depth macro-economic analysis is complete without the manditory analysis of a country's Miss Universe contestant? Besides, the Gods of Bachelortude demand it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your analysis has one fault: You rather should've posted a picture of Miss Australia 2006, Erin McNaught(y)! I think she better reflects the high productivity of the Australian people, i.e. making the most out of less (clothes) ;-)

Anyway, I noticed a big dive in the GDP curve of Australia relative to the US. What happened? Had it something to do with their import-substituting-policy that they'd implemented after 1945, and probably ended in the 1970s, thereby confronting unproductive parts of the economy to the full-blown worldwide competition?

Anonymous said...

One graph missing; federal debt comparison

Captain Capitalism said...

I had it, lost it, they're in better shape than America.