Sunday, September 23, 2007

Some Jim-Dandy Housing Charts

They come from Time magazine, which I know, I know, is nothing approaching The Economist, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

The first one I particularly like because it is (thus far) the only chart/graph/data that shows just how much housing prices in various cities have dropped in real terms. Of course when you compare the gains housing has had in the past 5 years versus what it's lost in the past year, the housing problems seem over-exaggerated.

However, since everybody in the US spends more than they make and rely on increasing asset prices to afford their unsustainable lifestyle, even a slight decline in their asset values can bring about a halt to their spending as well as bankruptcy.

The other question is that's fine prices have dropped by 5% or so, but how much more does it have to go. I'll still sticking by my 20-30% range.


This chart shows you the standard Case Shiller chart that is finally getting some play, but I like the embedded chart showing job growth.



In both instances I would love to revisit these charts a year from now to see just how far housing prices will drop and just what happens to job growth.

But remember, no matter what these charts say, we're not in a housing crash according to most banks.

No comments: