Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tales of Capitalism #1

Listen to this and this then let me tell you a quick little story.

Many years ago when I was young I was one of the first in Minnesota to pick up swing dancing during that renaissance swing dancing had during the late 90's.

That's when I met Tony DeMarco. I was at a place called The Front, a schwanky kind of 1940's Tiki lounge kind of deal and there Tony was singing Sinatra and other lounge songs.

The odd thing was that Tony had his masters in English and I had my degree in finance. Neither of us knew a damn thing about dancing, let alone singing, yet the demands of the market at the time called for lounge singers and swing dancers.

That was over 5 girlfriends and 10 years ago and during that time Tony and myself have lived kind of Batman lifestyles.

Mild mannered economist and broker during the day.

Performer of Sinatra and dancing instructor extraordinaire at night.

But in an odd sense, especially since the housing crash occured we were discussing how what we were TRAINED to do was always second to what the market DEMANDED us to do, testifying to the power of the market and providing an important lesson in economics. Alas you can't fight the market, and so while I've pursued teaching dance classes in my spare time, Tony has decided to pursue his career in singing (while being the mild mannered broker at a brokerage that shall go unnamed)

Thus, since Tony is a friend (though an ass) he is a capitalist ass and I find it my duty to reward and endorse true capitalists across the fruited plain in the hopes they live their dreams.

So if you happen to be in the Midwest area and are looking for an EXCELLENT singer, I suggest you contact Tony DeMarco. If not and you just want to listen to his music, you can online.

Visit Tony Here if for any other reason than to listen to the music.

(If you are a capitalist and have a story, please send it to me at captcapitalism@yahoo.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it is what the market demands or that you both have developed what is commonly classifiied as a split-personality. There is a common psychological explanation for the desire both of you like to do at night.

I find this just as common at biker bars on the weekend. You will find professional types - accountants, professors, medical doctors, teachers. lawyers, etc, - dress up in head bands and leather and tear up the streets as big, bad bikers on the weekend. It is a release from reality. This is the most common aspect of the American personality: trying to be something we're not.

I don't think it has much to do with market demands as much as it does with personality regression. As a behavourist, I believe the economy is more psycho-somatic than most would like to admit and your piece proves it. So keep dancing away believeing your talents are market driven rather than personally satisfying. Just don't quit your day job.

Danny L. McDaniel
Lafayette, Indiana

Captain Capitalism said...

I know when I'm working with bankers and finance folk my personality is distinctly different than when I'm enjoying teaching dance. But I think it's the nature of work.