Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Green Ninja

So with gas prices this high I decided to buy a motorcycle (one that works I mean). Hit Craig's List (which I think has alone boosted GDP by .5% a year with all the free advertising they allow) and found an old green Kawasaki Ninja.


I'm very happy with it because it gets 67 miles to the gallon, however my friend had to point out,

"Hey, the "Green Ninja." It's like a lame comic book hero like Captain Planet who fights global warming by increasing your gas mileage. You're probably more green than most of your liberal colleagues."

Now utterly ashamed I drive the Green Ninja thinking people believe I have gone soft and gone green, when in reality I'm just trying to save a couple bucks.

Regardless, this did get me thinking about the psychological apprehension people have to making large or larger ticket item purchases like motorcycles so allow me to impart some economic wisdom.

First, if you blow your money on something like booze, cigarettes, video games, marriage or children (har har har) you are in that sense wasting your money. But if you buy a motorcycle or a moped, you are investing your money. And you will not only reclaim the money you spent on the motorcycle (and jacket and helmet and accessories, etc.) you will be earning back more. Therefore it's not whether you can afford a motorcycle, it's whether you can't afford a motorcycle. Get one, you'll be better off (I've already earned back in gas savings what I spent on a jacket, helmet and gloves).

Second, you don't need to blow a ton of money on a motorcycle (I got mine for all of $2,000). Matter of fact they're pretty cheap used as demographics play a role in this. Namely men of Gen X are getting married and having children. And then the wife puts el-kabosh on the motorcycle riding forcing him to give it up. Ergo if you are single guy (or a single gal) you can find a crotch rocket for pretty cheap.

Third, you can go green with a smart car, a Prius or a hybrid.

Or you can get a motorcycle.

Which one do you think the girls dig more?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they dig massive SUV's...
Watch out for me on the road you little Green tree hugging global warming munchkin...

Captain Capitalism said...

Pfa! Those are the suburbanite girly girls chasing after the bling bling. I'm talking the naughty girls that want the naughty boys...that drive 250 cc aging crotch rockets...studying GDP figures...and play Xbox...yeah, sure.

Anonymous said...

I love SUVs and pickup trucks, and motorcycles.

BTW, "I study GDP figures" would make a good bumper sticker. Also "I contribute to GDP." :)

Roberto A. Pérez Díaz said...

cmon
i bet that no women who will want to ride in your bike would pass your 317 commandments about girls
so, its a fallacy

I also once heard that good, really good economists do not care about prices

xD

Andrew L said...

I can see you're still not convinced of the seriousness of global warming. Perhaps this will change your mind!

Anonymous said...

When in college I bought a Honda 750 cc motorcycle, when my girlfriend first rode on it, she yelled, "OOOHH! A 750cc vibrator!"

Captain Capitalism said...

Cap Pig,

YEah, I'm still working on that shirt idea "I Contribute to GDP" or "Real Men Contribute to GDP" Something like that.

Roberto,

Correct very few would, plus with an extra girl on my bike that would just cut down on fuel efficiency ;)

Kevin J. said...

Your medical bills will more than offset any savings on gasoline you will realize...

Anonymous said...

Try something like Cafepress.com ; there are businesses nowadays that will print the art/words you want on the T-shirt for you. TShirtJunkie.com might be one to try as well.

Anonymous said...

Medical bills also contribute to GDP. :)

I'd ride a motorcycle if I weren't absolutely sure I'd kill myself with it. They're great, for all the reasons the Captain points out here.

VH said...

I've been riding for over twenty-five years and I don't regret a day...even the bad ones. At least you were smart and got yourself an inexpensive one; it won't cost much for repairs and maintenance. I've had a torrid love affair with red hot Italian bikes and while they are fast and beautiful, they are pricey. Congrats and enjoy the bike.