Thursday, March 10, 2011

Your "No Freakin Duh" Economic Epiphany of the Day



You mean to tell me that US and Western countries cannot get by where the entire populace majors in philosophy and theater? That inevitably we need to produce something of economic value in order for our stocks to go up? Are you saying that we CAN'T just run trillion dollar deficits year after year duping the Chinese into buying our debt?

I mean, I thought we could all major in "communications," land cushy government jobs, listen to NPR, bitch about how evil corporations are, promise ourselves free food, shelter and health care and somehow stocks would just magically increase by 12.8% a year in perpetuity so we'd all have big fat 401k values to retire on.

Honest to god. I had somebody in my class ask me, "So economics, that sounds really tough."

I said, "No, it's actually quite easy. It's dealing with the politics that is difficult. The economics profession has made it "seem" difficult by requiring you have all this calculus and advanced statistics before you can even apply for grad school. Math you'll never use, and if you did, you'll use it in a finite model that will fail to predict black swan events like housing bubbles, or, ooohhhhh, I don't know, collapsing western economies."

With a blank stare he said, "So...I um should continue in computer networking?"

"Yes, you should continue in computer networking."

Enjoy the decline people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Captain - off topic, but I thought you would like to know your protestations have made an impact upon me. I am taking dance classes (swing, shag, hustle, and Rumba). Loving it! Thanks!

Captain Capitalism said...

Oh, GOOD! Yeah, there really is no downside to taking classes. It USED to help out A LOT meeting members of the opposite sex. But it is SUPER fun anyway whether you land dates out of it or not.

Anonymous said...

Captain,

Sounds like a confused young lad. We all were at one time, well, those of us with man parts. It can be a daunting task choosing he right major in college...path in life. It seems like the young man (I'm 99% sure it was a young man if the question is Economics vs. Computer Networking) is genuinely at a crossroads. I'm sure you will do your best to guide him. If he's choosing between these two, he's made it to the goal line. See him in. He'll make you proud one day. I think that's a Rudy reference--no wait--Scent of a Woman. I miss football so much. I wonder how many "Baird Men" took bailout money.

I assume much in my post, and if I'm missing some intended nuance of your post, forgive me. I've had much wine in a small time. But if you don't guide him, then who?

Respectfully,

-Tim