Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Well, I Better Inform You Guys

Dr. Glenn Reynolds was kind enough to make mention of my book, Worthless on Instapundit.

And better yet, his wife was kind enough to write a review. To add icing to this cake, she titles it with light saber sharpness:

"Are Liberal Arts Colleges Becoming Finishing Schools for Women?"

Hooo hooo!!!!

Because of their linkage my book has gone from an Amazon rank of 60,000-ish to 31,000-ish, to now 2,000-ish (Mythical Cassandra has been keeping me updated). And sales thus far will afford me this nice scoped AR-15 I have my eye on.

Regardless, understand Instapundit is kind of like the conservative/libertarian version of Oprah's book club. It's the best you can hope for in this realm and is a very-welcomed bit of good news in the ole Captain's life.

I now of course have dreams of this mention creating kind of a bomb-hitting-the-magazine-in-a-ship type of chain reaction effect. People will forward to other people, all of NRO's authors will read it and want interviews, Dr. Walter E Williams will invite me over for martinis and basketball, Drudge will list it at the top of his web site, and Rush Limbaugh will invite me over for a round of golf...which I don't play...so I'll be his caddy or something. Oh! And I want hot Foxnews Babes to request me that I teach them how to salsa dance. Preferably Leeane Tweeden, but I'm not picky.

Now, I know all of my readers. You're all rough and tumble type yahoos, and you all like to shoot the old Captain a couple barbs his way in loving jesting fun. But just let me dream for now of becoming the next Vince Flynn wherein the Rumpie flows freely, motorcycles are on the cheap, Stugis is open year-round, and I can make fossil hunting my day time job....well, that or at least I'll be able to get that scoped AR 15.

22 comments:

daniel_ream said...

Congratulations, Cap. You deserve this one.

Captain Capitalism said...

Heh, tell me about it. Not to be the glass is half empty type, but it's been a while since there's been some good news. And there's always that long shot this does take off and I actually COULD just drive around the country on my motorcycle and hunt for fossils! Man would that be sweet.

Mythic Cassandra said...

Update:

Worthless is now #596 on Amazon Books, having leapfrogged 60k+ other books due to the Instapundit assist.

I figure you'll break the top 100 before the momentum ends. Probably get a nice boost when people check Instapundit after they get off work, too.

Enjoy it while it lasts. It's well-deserved success.

Aynsley said...

I say we bring back finishing schools.

And congratulations.

Unknown said...

Great news! And not just for you, more people need to read that book!

Amateur Strategist said...

Cappy, this book may be the catalyst that busts the education bubble wide open. I really do think that your book will hit the big time as everyone reads it and people need to forward it to their friends to find out what's worthwhile and what's worthless.

This may sound like you "won the lottery" but it's far from that. You put a lot of time into that book, I'm sure. What's more, the ideas in that book were hardly being discussed by anyone else but a select few. A lottery winner is a mere gambler, you brought VALUE to our society with this knowledge and so you will receive through free market principles the value that society places on this knowledge.

Anonymous said...

#596??? OMG!! You are a Star!

Mythic Cassandra said...

The latest Amazon Best Sellers Rank for Worthless: #385 in Books.

That's ranking among all books.

Here's a more specialized ranking.

Worthless is #18 in Books > Education & Reference > Education

Amazon Best Sellers in Education

These lists, updated hourly, contain bestselling items. Here you can discover the best Education in Amazon Best Sellers, and find the top 100 most popular Amazon Education.

#19 in Education is LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia. Who knew?

#20 is The Official SAT Study Guide with DVD

Up there with the big names.

Mythic Cassandra said...

Major correction:

Worthless is available in two formats, Kindle and paperback. Previous reports covered only the paperback edition.

Here are the Kindle rankings
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,358 Paid in Kindle Store.

Lower ranking, but every copy counts.

#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Education > College & University

#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Professional & Technical > Education > By Level > College

#16 in Books > Education & Reference > Education

Anonymous said...

Quick question captain, is econ a worthless degree?

Captain Capitalism said...

Yes, econ is a worthless degree unless you get a doctorate in it. Thankfully I have a degree in finance. ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Cap'n.

Helen Smith said...

Hi Captain,

Thanks so much for the book and the opportunity to blog about it!

Captain Capitalism said...

Hi Dr. Smith,

Hey, no problem, you're the one who did me a favor, and I have my AR15 already picked out!

On a related note, I've been reading your blog via the Manosphere for quite some time, but didn't even know you were married to Dr. Reynolds!

Thanks again!

Cpt.

NotClauswitz said...

Anthro major here working in UI and graphic stuff (finger-painting again) when I work - which is infrequently - mucho congratuloonies!

Steve said...

I don't know - I wrote a pretty good review on Amazon the other day and got three copies for some young men I know. Maybe the instalanche is just correlation not causation. . . maybe? :)

Great book!!!! Congrats!

grerp said...

Just saw that! Big, big congrats.

little dynamo said...

This may sound like you "won the lottery" but it's far from that.

no it's close actually

and thanks to him

Captain Capitalism said...

Heck, I'm just happy to get my AR15. It's completely surreal to one day just be sitting there and doing your regular day ole day ole job, and then POOF! 300 people just bought your book.

And yes, I am going to be frivolous enough to buy my gun the next day! (Besides, I think it's a better investment than gold right now).

Captain Capitalism said...

And I am ABSOLUTELY thankful!

little dynamo said...

enjoy the bike vroom vroom

ray

Susan Walsh said...

Congrats, that is awesome news. And now as payment for dragging my feet I have to follow Dr. Helen. Serves me right.